A good furnace ensures comfort, reliability and energy efficiency. It helps keep your home warm consistently. And therefore, you need to be extra cautious when it comes to replacing it with a new one. A single mistake during installation can cause you to compromise with your home’s comfort.
Imagine the absence of heating system during winter!
Consider all sorts of calculations
You need to have the measurements of your rooms before you go ahead and buy a furnace for yourself. You will get a lot of contractors who determine the needs of the heating and cooling system according to the size of the house. But, measuring just the size of the house is not enough. A quality contractor should take into consideration the size of the family, as well as the estimated usage, and also the average climate before giving you that advice.
Checking Energy Efficiency
Checking the AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating of the new furnace determines its energy efficiency. AFUE is the measurement of the furnace’s efficiency in converting fuel to energy. For example, a furnace with a 75% AFUE denotes that 75% of the fuel consumed by the furnace is used to heat your home while the other 25% turns into exhaust that is vented out the flue. The advantage of AFUE rating is that it determines how efficient unit you will need at your home. Moreover, higher the energy efficiency of the furnace, lower will be your recurring utility bill. But again, the higher the efficiency, the more will be the cost of furnace.
Look After Features
You can consult with your contractor about what features to look for in a furnace. The feature can include variable speed and multi-stage operation mechanism. These will help you to permit long-term energy savings.
Types of Fuel Usage
There are few furnaces that burn natural gas while others burn propane or fuel oil. You need to consult with your HVAC contractor about the best option of fuel available. If your home is set up with venting and ductwork for a combustion furnace, the best choice for you will be burning natural gas.
Assess the Ventilation System
Compatibility of the existing ventilation system with new furnace is something that needs to be verified before installation. Ventilation system should always be compliant to furnace requirements and regulations. The best option for this situation will be consulting with the HVAC Charlotte NC familiar with ductwork installation.
After the successful installation of furnace, ask your contractor for a detailed report, which might be needed to be presentedto the building inspector. It is recommended to inspect the chimney too, in order to verify its compliance to at least 350 degrees.